Skip to main content

The Distracted Mom...

A few days ago I watched a video about distracted moms (by Carol Barnier author of the book "If I'm Diapering a Watermelon, Then Where'd I Leave the Baby?: Help for the Highly Distractible Mom"). I thought to myself, 'yeah, I guess I can get a bit distracted'.

Little did I know that probably the next day I would realize just how bad it was.

I was trying to explain some math concept to one of the boys and I noticed that his fingernails REALLY needed to be cut.

It took EVERY ounce of self control to not interrupt what we were doing and go cut them that very second.

I immediately thought back to the video. Yep. I'm a distracted mom.

But something in what she said in the video really hit a nerve deep within.

At first she thought that she needed to fix this distractability and become the Pinterest perfect home schooling mom.

She had charts and list and everything possible to keep herself organized and on task.

Only it didn't work because the moment she turned away, she'd get distracted by something else and forget what she was supposed to be doing (not all the time but enough to be a problem).

(Just to prove this point, I have a schedule written up in the home school room- I don't think we've followed it yet and it's been up there for probably a good month so far. Oh, I look at it every so often and lament how we're not on schedule but then I turn away and ignore it again.)

Then, she realized that God didn't make her to be a focused regimented person and that no matter how hard she tried it wasn't going to happen.

Who she was wasn't something that was broken and needed fixing- it was who God made her to be.

Now that didn't mean she just gave up and did whatever. Rather, she began to figure out ways to work around the shortcomings while embracing the strengths that God gave her.

She realized that God knew what kind of personality and skill set her kids needed in their mother and gave her exactly that.

For a long time I've been trying to live up to what I thought I was- someone with a Type A personality that is super organized and can do it all (and do it all perfectly)!

In a way, I've been getting madder and madder because I think God made a mistake with me.

My wants (of a clean, organized house and orderly run home school) aren't lining up with my reality and I'm frustrated. I don't want my life to be like this.

Maybe that's why I haven't felt like blogging lately- I'm doing the pity party and this blog isn't the place for that (actually no place is Phil 2:14).

This is really going to be a 180° in terms of my thinking. Actually embracing who I am instead of what I thought I was (or rather what I wanted to be).

Letting go of pre-conceived ideas about what I should be and figuring out how God made me the right way for my kids.

Obviously, my kids didn't need a Type-A personality mother.

So what do they need? I'm not sure- for them or for me.

Does it absolve me of trying to keep things organized and running smoothly? No way!

I'd like to say my perfectionist, Type-A personality is going to buckle down and figure this whole thing out and come up with a plan- but now I'm not so sure that that is even true anymore.

I think it will be a daily work in progress- learning how to give myself, and others, the grace to flourish into what God has REALLY created each of us to be.

Keeping it real, by the grace of God...
Tammy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And Those That Were Willing...

I started a summer project. Oh yes, not like bringing home a puppy wasn't enough craziness for the summer- I've gone and added something else. I set a goal for myself- read through my bible in 90 days. At first I hummed and hawed about doing it. Would I really retain anything to make it worthwhile? Shouldn't I do a slow methodical study to get as much as possible out of it? Blah, blah, blah... Then I figured, anything that gets me at least reading my bible on a regular basis (whatever the outcome) would be a GOOD thing. So I started out with great enthusiasm and even got a day ahead of myself. Now, I'm behind (surprise, surprise). REALLY behind. Out of town visitors and a week of camping will do that, but I'm working on getting caught up again. Until then, I want to share a little nugget that I got from Ex. 36:2. "Then Moses summoned Bezalel and Oholiab and every skilled person to whom the Lord had given ability and who was willing to come and

Filling the Wrong Bucket

I didn't cave. I also should have just stayed off of Facebook, but I didn't cave. Last summer I chose NOT send my kids to summer camp- even though, seemingly, ALL their friends were going. The same week. All of them. Well, not really, of course. But honestly, with Facebook status updates coming in fast and furiously- it really did seem like it. And I wondered, 'Am I a bad mom because I didn't send my kids to summer camp with their friends?' At one point, I seriously thought about calling up the camp (after the week had started) and seeing if I couldn't somehow manage to get them in anyway. I let the thought pass- and didn't cave. But I still feel a tinge of guilt about it and I'm dreading the decision about this summer already. Fast forward a few more months- to February 7, 2014 to be exact. Pretty much anyone with even the slightest interest in Lego will know what that date means. The release of their first full-length feature movie.

Finishing Well

A couple of weeks ago I read this really funny blog post (found here  Worst End of School Year Mom ). It was really quite hilarious and so where I'm at these days. I have grand intentions every time I start something new. Things like school years, diets, exercise regimes, organizational to-do lists, schedules, habits, blog posts, etc. You name it and I'm pretty good at starting it- but finishing it, well, let's just say I'm not too good at that part. Elijah doing his first potato sack race at their school's sports day- he ended up wiping out and not finishing well. Trying not to come in last. For the past week and a bit (it's taken me a while to get this post written and up), I've had God gently nudging me with the scripture from Heb. 12:1-3: the whole thing about persevering right to the very end- putting my whole heart and soul into things until they're finished. Unfortunately, I usually peter out after completing only 5 - 10% of som