Skip to main content

Christmas & Perspectives

Okay, I'm just going to say it- Christmas really isn't my favourite time of the year!

It probably has a lot to do with the fact that my husband intensely dislikes this time of the year. He doesn't have very fond memories of Christmas from his childhood and so it's really poisoned his attitude.

As a result, most years Christmas is merely a blip on the calendar, and then we keep plowing through- basically ignoring the whole thing insofar as we can.

Having said that, I decided that this year I wanted to do things differently. To slow down and put some thought into WHY we even do this in the first place.

I started by getting an Advent book and candles- so that we'd have a daily reading to do. The story is quite interesting (and very gruesome at times), but as we're working our way through it- I'm realizing it's the right book to help us learn and remember.

Then, I decided that we'd scale back the school work (which wasn't too difficult because we seem to get so little of it done on any given day anyway) and do more fun things as a family. Baking together, decorating the house, decorating the baking, art stuff, etc.

However, there's a problem with all that- the inevitable fighting that goes along with it.

The bickering is kind of driving me (and definitely my husband) insane.

I keep trying to remind myself (and my husband) that they aren't going to remember any of the fighting (although he isn't so sure)- but that they WILL remember the time spent together doing all these things.

It's like all those times when I go out with the kids and I think they're acting like little monsters- the fighting, bickering, yelling and screaming (both theirs and mine) make for such a miserable day that I question my sanity and remind myself NOT to EVER do that again!

Then we get home and all of a sudden they're thanking me for such an amazing day and that they had so much fun, etc.!

WHAT?!?!?!? Didn't we just spend the same day together at the same place?!??!?!!

You're kidding, right?

But they aren't. They're totally serious.

They aren't remembering all the times I got upset with them for not behaving- they're remembering that I took them somewhere that they liked and they enjoyed it.

Philippians 3:12-16 (NIV) says, "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.".

Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead... I haven't been very good at this lately, but it's exactly what my kids find so natural to do. Seize the joy of the moment and ignore the gunk.

I think it's also a bigger picture for my life right now- on so many levels!

I've been really discouraged lately and have had a hard time getting back up again- which can get you feeling even more down about things.

Maybe pressing on needs to be my motto for a while...

Keeping it real, by the grace of God...
Tammy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And Those That Were Willing...

I started a summer project. Oh yes, not like bringing home a puppy wasn't enough craziness for the summer- I've gone and added something else. I set a goal for myself- read through my bible in 90 days. At first I hummed and hawed about doing it. Would I really retain anything to make it worthwhile? Shouldn't I do a slow methodical study to get as much as possible out of it? Blah, blah, blah... Then I figured, anything that gets me at least reading my bible on a regular basis (whatever the outcome) would be a GOOD thing. So I started out with great enthusiasm and even got a day ahead of myself. Now, I'm behind (surprise, surprise). REALLY behind. Out of town visitors and a week of camping will do that, but I'm working on getting caught up again. Until then, I want to share a little nugget that I got from Ex. 36:2. "Then Moses summoned Bezalel and Oholiab and every skilled person to whom the Lord had given ability and who was willing to come and

Filling the Wrong Bucket

I didn't cave. I also should have just stayed off of Facebook, but I didn't cave. Last summer I chose NOT send my kids to summer camp- even though, seemingly, ALL their friends were going. The same week. All of them. Well, not really, of course. But honestly, with Facebook status updates coming in fast and furiously- it really did seem like it. And I wondered, 'Am I a bad mom because I didn't send my kids to summer camp with their friends?' At one point, I seriously thought about calling up the camp (after the week had started) and seeing if I couldn't somehow manage to get them in anyway. I let the thought pass- and didn't cave. But I still feel a tinge of guilt about it and I'm dreading the decision about this summer already. Fast forward a few more months- to February 7, 2014 to be exact. Pretty much anyone with even the slightest interest in Lego will know what that date means. The release of their first full-length feature movie.

Finishing Well

A couple of weeks ago I read this really funny blog post (found here  Worst End of School Year Mom ). It was really quite hilarious and so where I'm at these days. I have grand intentions every time I start something new. Things like school years, diets, exercise regimes, organizational to-do lists, schedules, habits, blog posts, etc. You name it and I'm pretty good at starting it- but finishing it, well, let's just say I'm not too good at that part. Elijah doing his first potato sack race at their school's sports day- he ended up wiping out and not finishing well. Trying not to come in last. For the past week and a bit (it's taken me a while to get this post written and up), I've had God gently nudging me with the scripture from Heb. 12:1-3: the whole thing about persevering right to the very end- putting my whole heart and soul into things until they're finished. Unfortunately, I usually peter out after completing only 5 - 10% of som