Skip to main content

Then and Now...

It's June! Already!?!

This year has really flown by.

June marks the end of my 4th year of homeschooling. In some ways I still feel like a 'newbie'- like I'm just starting out, wondering how it all is going to work out and if I'm going to mess up my kids' education!

copyright wradmemories
When we first started out, our home school area was a corner of our playroom.
Needless to say they were more interested in playing than school work.

copyright wradmemories
Just to make life more interesting (besides being pregnant with baby #5 when we started),
we decided to close in the covered sundeck and create a bedroom & home school room.
I did okay until we hit the drywall stage- I gave up doing any 'formal' schooling till it was finished.

In other ways, I'm almost feeling like a seasoned veteran. I even have the occasional mom who is newer at this home schooling gig asking me, 'How do you do it?'.

Oh my! If they only knew!

Anyway, it's a question that even I have asked others MANY times before, but I'm wondering if maybe it's the wrong question to ask.

When I ask 'How do YOU do it?', quite often it's because I'm listening to the inner monologue that says that I'm NOT doing it right (whether I actually am or not). So, therefore, I should ask someone else who CLEARLY has it all together and maybe then I can get it together too.

Honestly, I don't think that's what we're supposed to be doing.

Please don't misunderstand me here. I'm not saying that we can't lean on other people for help and advice. God knows that we can't do life alone- that's why He gave us the community of believers (however it looks in your life). To spur one another on to love and good deeds (Heb. 10:24) and for the older women to train up younger women (Titus 2:4).

Clearly God intended for each of us to be mentored and to mentor others. That isn't what I'm referring to here.

If you're anything like me, you've spent at least a few minutes at some point in your life comparing yourself to others. Some of us will spend hours each day in the comparison snare. We look at our lives and discount what IS happening and focus instead on what we (usually mistakenly) believe ISN'T happening.

Let's see if we can recognize any of these inner monologues:
  • Wow, your kids are so well behaved! (Please, I'm desperate- tell me your secret so that my kids will behave and others won't judge me the way I think they are.)

copyright wradmemories
Big brother Elijah showed the rest of them how to make duct tape weapons and then they
went out into the backyard for hours (literally) of fun. It even took quite a while for it to descend into chaos!

  •  You're looking great! (I don't like how I look and if there is a magic potion or pill I would do anything to get it.)


copyright wradmemories
A rare family photo (I'm usually hiding behind the camera).

  • Nice van! (Your husband must make more money than mine, or is a better money manager or I wish I could have that too but we can't seem to control our spending.)

I could go on, and in fact, I have. Many more times than I care to count. The problem with comparisons is that we have no idea what the other person is going through- I'm only seeing the 'postcard' moment, not the 'trenches' moments that came before.

Confession time. 

I have actually tried blogging before. I had these grand ideas of chronicling my new journey into the world of home schooling. All the wonderful things that we did and learned. Ah, yes- the naive optimism!

Unfortunately, what ended up happening was more of a 'whine' blog- without the cheese!  

It's a good thing that nobody ever found that blog, because to think about all the grumbling and complaining that I did on it- I'm embarrassed.


copyright wradmemories
Noah pouting because he didn't want to leave the hike we were on.

So rather than go back and try to fix what was broken, I decided to start something new. 

Something that was rooted in an 'Attitude of Gratitude'.

Which brings me back to the end of the school year.

It's so easy to think we're not doing things right and that everyone else is doing it better. Or that I haven't done enough school work with my kids or whatever.

But if I look back over the past four years, we've come a long way. We've all grown and matured (at least some days) and I think, grown closer to each other and to God. We have our really, really good days and we have our hideously BAAAD days.

And that makes it real and it makes it life.


copyright wradmemories
Elijah, Jeremiah, Samuel & Noah
Fall 2009

copyright wradmemories
Elijah, Jeremiah, Samuel, Noah & Rebekah
Spring 2013

I haven't figured it all out yet, so there is no formula that I can give to help you out- except this: PRAY! PRAY! PRAY! And when you think you're done, PRAY SOME MORE!

Keeping it real, by the grace of God...
Tammy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And Those That Were Willing...

I started a summer project. Oh yes, not like bringing home a puppy wasn't enough craziness for the summer- I've gone and added something else. I set a goal for myself- read through my bible in 90 days. At first I hummed and hawed about doing it. Would I really retain anything to make it worthwhile? Shouldn't I do a slow methodical study to get as much as possible out of it? Blah, blah, blah... Then I figured, anything that gets me at least reading my bible on a regular basis (whatever the outcome) would be a GOOD thing. So I started out with great enthusiasm and even got a day ahead of myself. Now, I'm behind (surprise, surprise). REALLY behind. Out of town visitors and a week of camping will do that, but I'm working on getting caught up again. Until then, I want to share a little nugget that I got from Ex. 36:2. "Then Moses summoned Bezalel and Oholiab and every skilled person to whom the Lord had given ability and who was willing to come and

Filling the Wrong Bucket

I didn't cave. I also should have just stayed off of Facebook, but I didn't cave. Last summer I chose NOT send my kids to summer camp- even though, seemingly, ALL their friends were going. The same week. All of them. Well, not really, of course. But honestly, with Facebook status updates coming in fast and furiously- it really did seem like it. And I wondered, 'Am I a bad mom because I didn't send my kids to summer camp with their friends?' At one point, I seriously thought about calling up the camp (after the week had started) and seeing if I couldn't somehow manage to get them in anyway. I let the thought pass- and didn't cave. But I still feel a tinge of guilt about it and I'm dreading the decision about this summer already. Fast forward a few more months- to February 7, 2014 to be exact. Pretty much anyone with even the slightest interest in Lego will know what that date means. The release of their first full-length feature movie.

Finishing Well

A couple of weeks ago I read this really funny blog post (found here  Worst End of School Year Mom ). It was really quite hilarious and so where I'm at these days. I have grand intentions every time I start something new. Things like school years, diets, exercise regimes, organizational to-do lists, schedules, habits, blog posts, etc. You name it and I'm pretty good at starting it- but finishing it, well, let's just say I'm not too good at that part. Elijah doing his first potato sack race at their school's sports day- he ended up wiping out and not finishing well. Trying not to come in last. For the past week and a bit (it's taken me a while to get this post written and up), I've had God gently nudging me with the scripture from Heb. 12:1-3: the whole thing about persevering right to the very end- putting my whole heart and soul into things until they're finished. Unfortunately, I usually peter out after completing only 5 - 10% of som