Skip to main content

Year Four in Review- Part II: The Fall Semester

The beginning of year four was a mixed bag of emotions.

For the first time, I finally felt like I was starting to find my 'groove'- that I was getting a handle on this whole home schooling thing.

But as excited as I was for all the new curriculum that I had for the coming year, as fall approached my dread about the new year increased.

I literally did NOT want to start the year. I was starting to freak out about how much work I was going to have to get through and figured that there was NO way I was ever going to manage it.

Somehow, though, I managed to finally convince myself to start opening books and get a handle on what I was supposed to be doing with the kids and how it was going to happen.

And you know what, for a few weeks, it did happen. Then things started to wane (see my earlier post about that here).

Anyway, our school year consisted of a virtual trip around the world- and it was great. The kids really enjoyed our 'together time' as we read all of the different things included in our packaged curriculum.

First we began with a general overview of the world. So, of course, we needed to bake a cake. Great idea, not so great on the execution. It looked so much better in my head- but the kids loved it! After all, what's not to love about cake and icing?

copyright wrad memories
Our 'world' cake

We also managed to still be swimming in my parents' pool until October, yet also went skating the day before!

copyright wrad memories
Rebekah's first time skating & Noah finally started
getting the whole balance thing. Much better than
the last time we went- no weeping & wailing! Yeah!

copyright wrad memories
All the boys were supposed to jump at once- that
OBVIOUSLY did NOT happen

 We also took the older boys to an outdoors 'toy' show where they got to ride quads for the first time. We didn't stay long enough for them to be able to ride the motorbikes- maybe next year.

copyright wrad memories
Always in competition with each other

Of course there was the corn maze- thankfully we had some friends to go with, which made it a LOT more fun. Definitely need to remember to do that more often.

copyright wrad memories
The older boys raced through as fast as they could,
so this was the younger part of our gang

Just so you don't think that all we did was have fun, here's a picture of a science experiment that we did. One of the stalks has the 'ribs' removed- we waited a week to see what would happen (one wilted, the other didn't- just in case you were wondering).

copyright wrad memories
I coloured the water to help show
how the 'ribs' drew up the water

For Noah, who really got the short end of the stick- I tried to do fun things with his learning (also based on his curriculum package- which I totally baled on half way through the year).

While learning about the letter 'A', we went to a local apple farm to pick apples. Unfortunately, since I was behind in the lessons the school tours/displays were already gone, but we still had fun anyway.

I think for the future, I should try to make up a schedule of when things are open so that if I get a sudden urge to do something there is a better chance of getting there while it's actually operational!

copyright wrad memories
Hamming it up while picking apples

copyright wrad memories
Mommys little helpers, mixing the dough for
our pie crust

copyright wrad memories
Posing with his pie before it goes
into the oven. One of my first, completely
from scratch pies- turned out pretty well

Then one day, I did something so completely out of character for me- I took the kids to the park, with the intent of going puddle jumping. They were seriously shocked that I wasn't freaking out about it. Needless to say I have at least one kid that did NOT like the outcome of that field trip.

copyright wrad memories
Can you guess where this is headed?

Well, our fall semester was not all fun and games. Sometimes there were frustrating lessons to be learned- like doing things over and over again until the quality of their work matched what I knew they were capable of doing.

copyright wrad memories
Proof of what Samuel was able to do,
for future reference, of course

 Or learning that when we disobey, there are sometimes really, really painful consequences...

copyright wrad memories
Noah getting 3 stitches after falling against
the piano bench- thank God for Dr's who
have cartoons on their smart phones!

And wouldn't you know it, he did that the week of school pictures. So typical, eh?!

To round out the first semester, we had our first set of birthdays (not including my turning 40, which I just kind of ignored). Noah and Rebekah have their birthdays 5 days apart. It was kind of fun to finally be able to do a Barbie cake (just in case you're wondering- boys don't usually ask for Barbie cakes).

copyright wrad memories
Noah wanted the Minecraft 'cake'- so 300+ squares later
we had one. Turned out pretty good.

copyright wrad memories
My Princess with her 'Princess' cake

All in all, the fall semester went quite well once we started. We were doing the daily Bible lessons and getting almost everything done each day because we were getting up early and staying on task.

It felt really good.

However, it didn't last. 

And that frustration sort of carried on to the rest of the year- mostly at myself but sometimes at the kids.

I'm not sure what happen, when, why or how either. All I know is that somehow I HAVE to figure out how to self-motivate myself to do things that I don't always want to do- like getting up in the morning (although having gotten this dog might be part of that answer- and going to bed before 2 or 3 in the morning could help with that as well...).

Somewhere, somehow I need to get an answer for this because I'm getting a bit tired of starting things well only to fizzle out part way through.

That's NOT something I want to teach my kids. And by default, the things that I do day in and day out DO teach them things whether I like it or not.

I want my kids to follow my GODLY example- which means that I need to live that. And God has promised that I ALREADY have everything I need to live a godly life- I just need to apprehend it (2 Pet. 1:3).

So I guess that's the answer, I will be able to do it by coming to KNOW HIM in a deeper, more intimate way.

It's not about figuring out the formula/method or by getting the right curriculum. It's about seeking HIM and HIS face- simply for relationship with Him. 

Then the rest will be added (Matt. 6:33).

Until next time...

Keeping it real, by the grace of God...
Tammy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And Those That Were Willing...

I started a summer project. Oh yes, not like bringing home a puppy wasn't enough craziness for the summer- I've gone and added something else. I set a goal for myself- read through my bible in 90 days. At first I hummed and hawed about doing it. Would I really retain anything to make it worthwhile? Shouldn't I do a slow methodical study to get as much as possible out of it? Blah, blah, blah... Then I figured, anything that gets me at least reading my bible on a regular basis (whatever the outcome) would be a GOOD thing. So I started out with great enthusiasm and even got a day ahead of myself. Now, I'm behind (surprise, surprise). REALLY behind. Out of town visitors and a week of camping will do that, but I'm working on getting caught up again. Until then, I want to share a little nugget that I got from Ex. 36:2. "Then Moses summoned Bezalel and Oholiab and every skilled person to whom the Lord had given ability and who was willing to come and

Filling the Wrong Bucket

I didn't cave. I also should have just stayed off of Facebook, but I didn't cave. Last summer I chose NOT send my kids to summer camp- even though, seemingly, ALL their friends were going. The same week. All of them. Well, not really, of course. But honestly, with Facebook status updates coming in fast and furiously- it really did seem like it. And I wondered, 'Am I a bad mom because I didn't send my kids to summer camp with their friends?' At one point, I seriously thought about calling up the camp (after the week had started) and seeing if I couldn't somehow manage to get them in anyway. I let the thought pass- and didn't cave. But I still feel a tinge of guilt about it and I'm dreading the decision about this summer already. Fast forward a few more months- to February 7, 2014 to be exact. Pretty much anyone with even the slightest interest in Lego will know what that date means. The release of their first full-length feature movie.

Finishing Well

A couple of weeks ago I read this really funny blog post (found here  Worst End of School Year Mom ). It was really quite hilarious and so where I'm at these days. I have grand intentions every time I start something new. Things like school years, diets, exercise regimes, organizational to-do lists, schedules, habits, blog posts, etc. You name it and I'm pretty good at starting it- but finishing it, well, let's just say I'm not too good at that part. Elijah doing his first potato sack race at their school's sports day- he ended up wiping out and not finishing well. Trying not to come in last. For the past week and a bit (it's taken me a while to get this post written and up), I've had God gently nudging me with the scripture from Heb. 12:1-3: the whole thing about persevering right to the very end- putting my whole heart and soul into things until they're finished. Unfortunately, I usually peter out after completing only 5 - 10% of som