Skip to main content

Jesus is ALIVE!

Over the past few weeks Rebekah and I have had an on-going argument. The general gist goes something like this:

R: Jesus is dead.
Me: Yes, he did die, but God brought Him back to life.
R: No He didn't. He's dead and I want Him to stay dead.
Me: It doesn't matter what you want here, He's alive whether you like or not.
R: I don't.
Me: exasperated sigh and much praying ensues.

I was beginning to wonder where I went wrong with her.

Was I not giving her enough time each day because I was so preoccupied with the boys and their school work? Probably- but was that it?

Were we letting her watch something that we shouldn't be? Again, probably- but what was it exactly and was that the reason?

Finally, a few days ago, something happened.

After waking up Rebekah came up to me and told me that she had had a dream. As is my custom when my children tell me that they've had a dream, I ask them what it was about.

As a side note, I am a prolific dreamer and believe strongly that God has spoken to me on numerous occasions through my dreams. Therefore, believe that God also speaks to my children through dreams and so want to help them figure out what He's trying to say to them.

Anyway, she begins to tell me about her dream.

Something about 'daddy' taking his son and killing him but it was okay because now he's alive.

At first I was really confused and though she was talking about Graham and one of her brothers! Eek! Not the interpretation that you'd really want, lol!

However, after a few more questions to clarify things- I realized that God had spoken to her about Jesus being crucified but that now He was alive!

And the best part? Rebekah now believes and accepts it too. No more insisting that Jesus is dead and needs to stay that way.

It was so sweet this morning while we were out with friends that Rebekah came up to me and whispered into my ear that we needed to tell them that Jesus wasn't dead- that He is alive! I told Rebekah to tell them herself, which she promptly did.

As I think about this whole situation- the arguing back and forth for weeks and the anxiety that it produced in me, I realize that I forgot that God wants her to believe in Him more than I want her to believe in Him.

Romans 10:17 says, "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ."

You see, I could have talked to her till I was blue in the face and quite possibly would never have convinced her that Jesus is alive. Yet all it took was ONE DREAM from God Himself and now she KNOWS for herself that it's true.

I am humbled yet again that even in the midst of my human stupidity to argue with a four year old instead of praying about things that God still stepped in and worked a miracle!

It feels like it's been so long since I've seen God move in my family mainly because I've been trying to do things in my own strength that I've forgotten to look for His power moving in the lives of those around me. I've been too busy with 'stuff' and other things to really notice what He's been doing.

Prov. 29:18a says, "Where there is no vision, the people perish." This is so true. This week has finally made me stop and take notice. It's pierced a ray of hope in the dark clouds that feel like they've been looming over us these past few months.

So today, I will hold in my heart the life-giving words that suddenly seem new once again: Jesus is ALIVE!

Keeping it real, by the grace of God...
Tammy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And Those That Were Willing...

I started a summer project. Oh yes, not like bringing home a puppy wasn't enough craziness for the summer- I've gone and added something else. I set a goal for myself- read through my bible in 90 days. At first I hummed and hawed about doing it. Would I really retain anything to make it worthwhile? Shouldn't I do a slow methodical study to get as much as possible out of it? Blah, blah, blah... Then I figured, anything that gets me at least reading my bible on a regular basis (whatever the outcome) would be a GOOD thing. So I started out with great enthusiasm and even got a day ahead of myself. Now, I'm behind (surprise, surprise). REALLY behind. Out of town visitors and a week of camping will do that, but I'm working on getting caught up again. Until then, I want to share a little nugget that I got from Ex. 36:2. "Then Moses summoned Bezalel and Oholiab and every skilled person to whom the Lord had given ability and who was willing to come and

Filling the Wrong Bucket

I didn't cave. I also should have just stayed off of Facebook, but I didn't cave. Last summer I chose NOT send my kids to summer camp- even though, seemingly, ALL their friends were going. The same week. All of them. Well, not really, of course. But honestly, with Facebook status updates coming in fast and furiously- it really did seem like it. And I wondered, 'Am I a bad mom because I didn't send my kids to summer camp with their friends?' At one point, I seriously thought about calling up the camp (after the week had started) and seeing if I couldn't somehow manage to get them in anyway. I let the thought pass- and didn't cave. But I still feel a tinge of guilt about it and I'm dreading the decision about this summer already. Fast forward a few more months- to February 7, 2014 to be exact. Pretty much anyone with even the slightest interest in Lego will know what that date means. The release of their first full-length feature movie.

Being Still

I don't know about you, but finding a quiet moment during the day to 'find my marbles' can be really hard. I guess having five kids around 24/7 will do that. I still chuckle when I remember reading about what Suzanna Wesley would do to get some 'quiet' time (she had 10 kids, by the way!)- she would sit down in her rocking chair and take her apron and flip it up over her head. That was the signal that nobody had better bug her! She did this everyday before she schooled her children. I can't imagine my kids not terrorizing each other (just like how they're fine until the phone rings- and then their misbehaviour is in direct proportion to the importance of the call)! Before I had kids, I had lots of time to get into my prayer closet and 'be still'. Oh, how I miss those days! It's been a challenge to figure out how to be still the more kids I have. I often long for the intimacy and excitement of those days- we had an extra room that was mine, a