Skip to main content

When Truth Gets Lost

Earlier this month I went to a Ladies Retreat.

I was so excited to finally have everything work out (or so I thought) for me to go. A friend had told me about the speaker several years earlier and they had had some retreats in the past, but they were too expensive and I either had a little one that couldn't be left or Graham was working and couldn't watch them.

Finally, I realized that Graham actually had that weekend off and I had his permission- so I signed up to go.

Only after I paid did I realize that I was actually supposed to be really busy that weekend. Elijah had the Cadet 'Tag Days' that weekend as well as Graham's work 'Family Fun Day'.

Yikes! I actually considered cancelling but figured that if God had worked this out for me to go, I should go. Besides, I figured that I needed this 'refreshing' break to rejuvenate me to be a better wife/mom/teacher (that was the speaker's focus).

Notice how I put the 'refreshing' part in quotations. Yeah, well- it turned out to be anything but that. I was so frustrated that I wanted to leave Friday night already.

Now don't get me wrong, it started off quite well. I was actually enjoying the speaker and was gleaning some great insights (convictions) about how I've been thinking/speaking about my little darlings over the past few months.

But then things took a turn for the worse and didn't really ever seem to recover.

It was simply the weirdest thing I've ever been to (and I've seen some crazy things). The speaker would say something that was true, but then she'd start 'interpreting' it for us- telling us exactly how that should look. And let me tell you, there was some insane stuff that was said.

My spirit was incredibly grieved for the woman listening to this because of the hurtful guilt and condemnation that was coming out of this woman's mouth! Then I felt guilty for being so critical. Yet EVERYONE that I spoke with said that it was just understood that you had to sift through what this person was saying and glean what you could from it and leave the rest.

Seriously?

The only analogy that I could come up with is Chicken Soup.

When I make Chicken Soup I cook the carcass (bones) in with the veggies to meld all the flavours. However, before I serve it to anyone, I go through and do my very best to pick out all the bones so that people can just enjoy the soup without having to spend the entire meal picking out the bones themselves.

Then, when everyone sits down I still caution that while I have done my best, please still be careful just in case I missed something.

That's what I expect from a world renowned speaker.

I don't expect to go for a 'meal' and come away 'starving' because not only didn't they pick out the bones but they took away the meat and added more bones to the soup!

Now, lest you think that I was constantly trying to find fault- please believe me, I was REALLY trying not to. I had an idea of where the speaker stood on the issues and wanted to be open-minded and receptive to what God was wanting to challenge me with throughout the weekend (that's why I went). I was constantly taking what she said and asking God if my objections were true to His word or my own faulty thoughts.

Unfortunately, by Saturday night, people's salvation was being questioned based on their choice of schooling option and their sanity on the basis of what foods they fed their families. Really?

It made my head hurt and my spirit and heart insanely heavy.

This speaker was leading us down a path of works (do x, y, z and you'll be following God's ultimate plan for humanity- if you deviate, you're not really a Christian) and holding it up as the crowning glory of our existence.

I honestly have been troubled by this for days since- wrestling with what was truth vs error and praying that only what God wanted said would be what was received and that He would reveal any and all error to the speaker herself (I will probably still write a response directly once I have it finally sorted out for myself).

And what I come to is that first and foremost in my existence here on earth is my relationship with God- not being a wife, not being a mother to as many children as possible, not home schooling my kids, not feeding them completely organic food, not keeping them out of everything and anything so that I can be the 'inner sanctuary' of my home, etc.

Everything else needs to come from THAT place of intimacy and HE needs to guide the rest- not some man-made ideal of true Christianity.

Especially now, as we celebrate the death and Resurrection of Christ, I am reminded of the grace and mercy that it now brings to our lives.

The grace that starts with intimacy and leads to outward action (not the other way around).

Keeping it real, by the grace of God...
Tammy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And Those That Were Willing...

I started a summer project. Oh yes, not like bringing home a puppy wasn't enough craziness for the summer- I've gone and added something else. I set a goal for myself- read through my bible in 90 days. At first I hummed and hawed about doing it. Would I really retain anything to make it worthwhile? Shouldn't I do a slow methodical study to get as much as possible out of it? Blah, blah, blah... Then I figured, anything that gets me at least reading my bible on a regular basis (whatever the outcome) would be a GOOD thing. So I started out with great enthusiasm and even got a day ahead of myself. Now, I'm behind (surprise, surprise). REALLY behind. Out of town visitors and a week of camping will do that, but I'm working on getting caught up again. Until then, I want to share a little nugget that I got from Ex. 36:2. "Then Moses summoned Bezalel and Oholiab and every skilled person to whom the Lord had given ability and who was willing to come and

Filling the Wrong Bucket

I didn't cave. I also should have just stayed off of Facebook, but I didn't cave. Last summer I chose NOT send my kids to summer camp- even though, seemingly, ALL their friends were going. The same week. All of them. Well, not really, of course. But honestly, with Facebook status updates coming in fast and furiously- it really did seem like it. And I wondered, 'Am I a bad mom because I didn't send my kids to summer camp with their friends?' At one point, I seriously thought about calling up the camp (after the week had started) and seeing if I couldn't somehow manage to get them in anyway. I let the thought pass- and didn't cave. But I still feel a tinge of guilt about it and I'm dreading the decision about this summer already. Fast forward a few more months- to February 7, 2014 to be exact. Pretty much anyone with even the slightest interest in Lego will know what that date means. The release of their first full-length feature movie.

Being Still

I don't know about you, but finding a quiet moment during the day to 'find my marbles' can be really hard. I guess having five kids around 24/7 will do that. I still chuckle when I remember reading about what Suzanna Wesley would do to get some 'quiet' time (she had 10 kids, by the way!)- she would sit down in her rocking chair and take her apron and flip it up over her head. That was the signal that nobody had better bug her! She did this everyday before she schooled her children. I can't imagine my kids not terrorizing each other (just like how they're fine until the phone rings- and then their misbehaviour is in direct proportion to the importance of the call)! Before I had kids, I had lots of time to get into my prayer closet and 'be still'. Oh, how I miss those days! It's been a challenge to figure out how to be still the more kids I have. I often long for the intimacy and excitement of those days- we had an extra room that was mine, a