Skip to main content

Mummy Time

In the chaos of home schooling and life, it's easy for days (if not weeks) to go by without really connecting with them on an individual level. This is also complicated by the fact that the four boys all share one room- which means that one-on-one conversations can't really happen.

So, in an effort to put more structure into my days- I've re-instituted 'mummy time'. I originally got the idea from a book called Large Family Logistics by Kim Brenneman (a book I highly recommend!). Kim is a home schooling mom of 9, so she knows what she's talking about!

From Monday through Friday, each child gets their day- like a special helper. One aspect of it is that I try to give them at least 1/2 hour during the day for only me and them to do something of their choosing. Then, at night (if they want), they can sleep by themselves in the tv/guest room where we can have a private chat about whatever they want.

Today was 'mummy time' for my oldest, Elijah. He's a pretty amazing (almost) young man- a little kid at heart in a nearly man-size body (he's almost thirteen, you know- like in 10 more months!). He's my guinea pig in this parenting gig. Tonight he asked if there was a parenting manual. When I told him 'no' (at least not anything other than the bible), he said that he'd better get working on learning how to do it then!

At bit about Elijah: he absolutely LOVES Lego and is constantly trying to create stop-motion animation films with Lego. He is a voracious reader, great at making duct-tape weapons, loves listening to music and is currently learning how to play the violin.

We have some of the most interesting conversations. The depth at which he ponders things never ceases to amaze me and I constantly find myself asking God to give me the right words to say to him to encourage him on in his life and faith journeys instead of nit-picking at all the bad habits he's picked up from me. He REALLY has an amazing heart for others and a genuine desire to love and follow God.

I know that God has great plans for all of my kids and each day I pray that His love will cover over the multitude of my sins and keep them on the straight and narrow path that leads to life, but there's something special about your first born that none of the rest can compete with. They're the one that started you on this parenthood journey and forever ruined you for the ordinary (and I really mean that in a good way!).

Tonight I delight in and cherish the blessing that is my son, Elijah.

copyright- wradmemories
The only one of my kids to have curly hair!

Keeping it real, by the grace of God...
Tammy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And Those That Were Willing...

I started a summer project. Oh yes, not like bringing home a puppy wasn't enough craziness for the summer- I've gone and added something else. I set a goal for myself- read through my bible in 90 days. At first I hummed and hawed about doing it. Would I really retain anything to make it worthwhile? Shouldn't I do a slow methodical study to get as much as possible out of it? Blah, blah, blah... Then I figured, anything that gets me at least reading my bible on a regular basis (whatever the outcome) would be a GOOD thing. So I started out with great enthusiasm and even got a day ahead of myself. Now, I'm behind (surprise, surprise). REALLY behind. Out of town visitors and a week of camping will do that, but I'm working on getting caught up again. Until then, I want to share a little nugget that I got from Ex. 36:2. "Then Moses summoned Bezalel and Oholiab and every skilled person to whom the Lord had given ability and who was willing to come and

Filling the Wrong Bucket

I didn't cave. I also should have just stayed off of Facebook, but I didn't cave. Last summer I chose NOT send my kids to summer camp- even though, seemingly, ALL their friends were going. The same week. All of them. Well, not really, of course. But honestly, with Facebook status updates coming in fast and furiously- it really did seem like it. And I wondered, 'Am I a bad mom because I didn't send my kids to summer camp with their friends?' At one point, I seriously thought about calling up the camp (after the week had started) and seeing if I couldn't somehow manage to get them in anyway. I let the thought pass- and didn't cave. But I still feel a tinge of guilt about it and I'm dreading the decision about this summer already. Fast forward a few more months- to February 7, 2014 to be exact. Pretty much anyone with even the slightest interest in Lego will know what that date means. The release of their first full-length feature movie.

Finishing Well

A couple of weeks ago I read this really funny blog post (found here  Worst End of School Year Mom ). It was really quite hilarious and so where I'm at these days. I have grand intentions every time I start something new. Things like school years, diets, exercise regimes, organizational to-do lists, schedules, habits, blog posts, etc. You name it and I'm pretty good at starting it- but finishing it, well, let's just say I'm not too good at that part. Elijah doing his first potato sack race at their school's sports day- he ended up wiping out and not finishing well. Trying not to come in last. For the past week and a bit (it's taken me a while to get this post written and up), I've had God gently nudging me with the scripture from Heb. 12:1-3: the whole thing about persevering right to the very end- putting my whole heart and soul into things until they're finished. Unfortunately, I usually peter out after completing only 5 - 10% of som