Skip to main content

Who's Perspective am I Using Anyway?

I really should follow through on things that I'm supposed to do (or rather NOT supposed to do). Like not going on Facebook or mindlessly spending hours on the internet ('oh, but I just need to look something up' always takes more time than you think!).

It would have saved me a lot of grief this week.

See, one of my friends posted this article by someone who (it felt like to me) was bragging about how great they were as a mother because they didn't yell at their kids (anymore, at least). To make matters worse, the friend who posted it has always been held up by another person close to me as being so 'perfect' because THEY don't EVER yell at their kids either. (Anyone sense the sarcasm/frustration level rising here?)

Well, confession time. I yell at my kids. Not all the time, mind you (at least I don't think so- although my husband/kids might beg to differ, esp. when I'm hormonal). I REALLY try hard not to yell- most days. And I don't remember the last time I had a complete melt-down (but sadly CAN remember HAVING them- as in more than one).

When I look at my family growing up, I realize that I've come by it quite honestly. But I don't want to just leave it there and pass that along to my kids so that I can see it in my grandkids, etc. Something needs to change and it needs to start with me.

I have spent a LOT of time over the past couple of years really working on being nicer to my kids and not yelling. But honestly, I haven't found the magic pill that lets you repeat the same phrase 50 times in a row and NOT get upset.

So, to read that article and feel beaten down again- well, it drained me. Badly. It's a sore spot of mine, actually. The Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde kind of thing, that I wish I didn't have in my home.

But how? How do I change this?

First, I think making sure that we get enough sleep and have the proper nutrition fueling our bodies goes a long way to ensuring positive relationship. Hey, maybe even throw in some exercise to get your endorphin's going!

When our mental, physical, emotional or financial bank accounts are overdrawn it makes sense that we react in a negative way to those wanting even more from us. Days where I have gotten enough sleep are MUCH easier to deal with than when I'm tired after staying up too late doing dumb 'stuff'.

Next, is getting perspective- the right kind. Going back and learning again who I am in Christ and accepting myself for the person He created me to be is a major factor. As we see in I John 4:7-21, it talks about how God loved us first, so that we can use that love to love others. If we don't apprehend God's love for us, we have nothing to give others. My perfectionism is a huge obstacle to this right now. Guess that's another item for my Truth Project.

Then, I need to stop making excuses for yelling. Oh, ouch!

Back to our passage in I John 4- God has given us His Spirit so that we can love others. So, either He has given us everything we need for a godly life (like NOT yelling) or He hasn't (2 Pet. 1:3).

I can be nice to strangers (granted, strangers don't start asking me for lunch as I'm clearing the breakfast dishes, but even when strangers annoy me I can still respond to them in a reasonably sane manner- most of the time). So why not with my kids?

I can refrain from loosing it when other people ARE around- so why not when they AREN'T around? Why do I worry more about what other people are thinking than how my kids feel about how I'm treating them?

Nowhere in the bible does it give an exemption from loving each other or living a godly life. (If you do find one, please let me know- it could come in handy. Just kidding!)

My yelling had become a habit, because I knew that I would see results. I could even tell some days that I was deliberately choosing to yell because I wanted action- NOW! Unfortunately, the longer I thought about it, the more I'd been wondering about whether the LONG-TERM results I REALLY wanted would be achieved using this method.

And I knew they wouldn't be.

Which brings me to my last point (for now). Putting on the armour of God and fighting against the flesh that wants our way instead of God's way (Eph. 6:10-18).

Because isn't that what the yelling is usually about? I want my kids to do something and they won't- so I get frustrated and use whatever means at my disposal to MAKE them do it. And if I don't stop it then they do the same thing with each other and the cycle continues- which just makes me more frustrated. See a pattern here?

Please don't think that I've got this mastered, because I don't. I'm writing this as much for me as for everyone else, to give me a renewed plan of action for tomorrow since His mercies and grace are new every morning (Lam. 3:22-24).

He is faithful to help us as we wrestle through this issue in our lives- an issue that we can and will overcome through the blood of the Lamb (Rev. 12:11). For me, the biggest part was stopping the excuses and realizing that yes, when I yell, I'm choosing to yell. I don't have to (baring an emergency, of course).

I constantly tell my kids that regardless of what anyone says or does to you, you still have a choice on how you respond. It takes work- and lots of it, but I think the 'paycheque' will be well worth it.

Keeping it real, by the grace of God...
Tammy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And Those That Were Willing...

I started a summer project. Oh yes, not like bringing home a puppy wasn't enough craziness for the summer- I've gone and added something else. I set a goal for myself- read through my bible in 90 days. At first I hummed and hawed about doing it. Would I really retain anything to make it worthwhile? Shouldn't I do a slow methodical study to get as much as possible out of it? Blah, blah, blah... Then I figured, anything that gets me at least reading my bible on a regular basis (whatever the outcome) would be a GOOD thing. So I started out with great enthusiasm and even got a day ahead of myself. Now, I'm behind (surprise, surprise). REALLY behind. Out of town visitors and a week of camping will do that, but I'm working on getting caught up again. Until then, I want to share a little nugget that I got from Ex. 36:2. "Then Moses summoned Bezalel and Oholiab and every skilled person to whom the Lord had given ability and who was willing to come and

Filling the Wrong Bucket

I didn't cave. I also should have just stayed off of Facebook, but I didn't cave. Last summer I chose NOT send my kids to summer camp- even though, seemingly, ALL their friends were going. The same week. All of them. Well, not really, of course. But honestly, with Facebook status updates coming in fast and furiously- it really did seem like it. And I wondered, 'Am I a bad mom because I didn't send my kids to summer camp with their friends?' At one point, I seriously thought about calling up the camp (after the week had started) and seeing if I couldn't somehow manage to get them in anyway. I let the thought pass- and didn't cave. But I still feel a tinge of guilt about it and I'm dreading the decision about this summer already. Fast forward a few more months- to February 7, 2014 to be exact. Pretty much anyone with even the slightest interest in Lego will know what that date means. The release of their first full-length feature movie.

Finishing Well

A couple of weeks ago I read this really funny blog post (found here  Worst End of School Year Mom ). It was really quite hilarious and so where I'm at these days. I have grand intentions every time I start something new. Things like school years, diets, exercise regimes, organizational to-do lists, schedules, habits, blog posts, etc. You name it and I'm pretty good at starting it- but finishing it, well, let's just say I'm not too good at that part. Elijah doing his first potato sack race at their school's sports day- he ended up wiping out and not finishing well. Trying not to come in last. For the past week and a bit (it's taken me a while to get this post written and up), I've had God gently nudging me with the scripture from Heb. 12:1-3: the whole thing about persevering right to the very end- putting my whole heart and soul into things until they're finished. Unfortunately, I usually peter out after completing only 5 - 10% of som