Skip to main content

Our New Canoe

Back in the spring, my husband bought a canoe from his cousin.

After finally getting the roof rack purchased so we could actually take it somewhere and picking up the life jackets from my parents, we managed to get out to the local lake.

Swamp would be a better description of said body of water. It used to be a mill site and when they shut it down, they just dumped all their leftovers in the middle of the lake. This means that in addition to a million geese doing their business everywhere, the lake is full of logs.

Anyway, the first group went out and was back in a couple of minutes. My friend felt the canoe was too 'tippy'- worse than any other canoe she'd ever been in and didn't want to go out on it anymore.

copyright wrad memories
Elijah, Jeremiah & our friend in the inaugural voyage.

By this point, Graham was back with the rest of the life jackets that I'd forgotten at home- so he took out the next batch of kids.

copyright wrad memories
Jeremiah, Samuel & Graham.

Now, I grew up going to camp and learned how to canoe since it was one of the week's activities. Granted, it's been a while, but I still remember the general points of what to do and how to do it. I even did a canoe trip in college.

Graham on the other hand, has had NO training whatsoever on canoeing. Yet, he bravely ventured out onto the lake with the boys. Thankfully what Jeremiah lacked in size he made up for in knowledge- he too has been to the same camp that I went to and has had a (read single) canoe lesson. So, he was able to at least give Graham some pointers!

But he also went out without factoring in two points: his paddling buddy is 10 and it was a windy day. 

Did I mention it was windy? On a lake filled with hidden and not so hidden logs?

Needless to say, they got out into the middle of the lake and had a really hard time getting back.

And while I was waiting for them to get back, I managed to get a really cool picture of a dragonfly.

copyright wrad memories
It finally landed and stayed there long enough for me
to get a picture. Love my longer lense!

When they finally got back, Graham insisted that I go out with him with whoever was left wanting to go out. Wisely, Rebekah declined and Noah, against his better judgement, finally agreed to come with us.

Now, I'm not really sure what happened- except that I know it ended up like this:

copyright wrad memories
Graham baling out the canoe with a small cup.

The dock that we were at wasn't really a proper dock- just some wooden landing. So when we got into the boat, it sat on the bottom of the lake. So after we were all in and sitting, we had to push ourselves out onto the open water.

It took mere moments after we were bouyant for me to feel like I was falling over- which I was. 

Right. Into. The. Lake!

Somehow, Noah managed to stay in the boat and only got his pant legs wet. Although from the way he reacted you would have thought that I'd burned all his toys while making him watch! He's still upset about it.

As for Graham and I- well, let's just say that we were pretty soaked from the chest down.

When we tried to stand up, there was at least a foot or more of muck on the bottom. Every step required us to reach down, grab a hold of our shoe and pull it out with our foot otherwise it would still be there. Graham eventually gave up and took his shoes off and threw them into the boat.

People walked by and stared and some nice old man grabbed the rope and tried to help us bring the boat back to shore so that we could get it emptied and out of the water.

All in all it was pretty hilarious- although Graham wasn't too impressed. But that might have something to do with our canoe trip from last year (which you can read about here).

It even cost Graham his shoes- he's refusing to wear them again.

copyright wrad memories
Graham's shoes filled with lake muck!

On the upside, the kids (except for Noah), thought it was absolutely HILARIOUS that I had somehow tipped the canoe and sent both Graham and I into the lake.

Needless to say I had nightmares of ever taking the canoe out again- only to have it tip over again with not so hilarious results.

I'll need to pray through that.

Anyway, there you have it. The whole story about our first trip out on our canoe.

On a funny note, this was what I started reading in my 90 Days Through the Bible tonight (Ps. 69:1-3). I thought it so fitting that I'll share it here with you:

1 Save me, O God,
    for the waters have come up to my neck.
2 I sink in the miry depths,
    where there is no foothold.
I have come into the deep waters;
    the floods engulf me.
3 I am worn out calling for help;
    my throat is parched.
My eyes fail,
    looking for my God.

Keeping it real, by the grace of God...
Tammy



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And Those That Were Willing...

I started a summer project. Oh yes, not like bringing home a puppy wasn't enough craziness for the summer- I've gone and added something else. I set a goal for myself- read through my bible in 90 days. At first I hummed and hawed about doing it. Would I really retain anything to make it worthwhile? Shouldn't I do a slow methodical study to get as much as possible out of it? Blah, blah, blah... Then I figured, anything that gets me at least reading my bible on a regular basis (whatever the outcome) would be a GOOD thing. So I started out with great enthusiasm and even got a day ahead of myself. Now, I'm behind (surprise, surprise). REALLY behind. Out of town visitors and a week of camping will do that, but I'm working on getting caught up again. Until then, I want to share a little nugget that I got from Ex. 36:2. "Then Moses summoned Bezalel and Oholiab and every skilled person to whom the Lord had given ability and who was willing to come and

Filling the Wrong Bucket

I didn't cave. I also should have just stayed off of Facebook, but I didn't cave. Last summer I chose NOT send my kids to summer camp- even though, seemingly, ALL their friends were going. The same week. All of them. Well, not really, of course. But honestly, with Facebook status updates coming in fast and furiously- it really did seem like it. And I wondered, 'Am I a bad mom because I didn't send my kids to summer camp with their friends?' At one point, I seriously thought about calling up the camp (after the week had started) and seeing if I couldn't somehow manage to get them in anyway. I let the thought pass- and didn't cave. But I still feel a tinge of guilt about it and I'm dreading the decision about this summer already. Fast forward a few more months- to February 7, 2014 to be exact. Pretty much anyone with even the slightest interest in Lego will know what that date means. The release of their first full-length feature movie.

Finishing Well

A couple of weeks ago I read this really funny blog post (found here  Worst End of School Year Mom ). It was really quite hilarious and so where I'm at these days. I have grand intentions every time I start something new. Things like school years, diets, exercise regimes, organizational to-do lists, schedules, habits, blog posts, etc. You name it and I'm pretty good at starting it- but finishing it, well, let's just say I'm not too good at that part. Elijah doing his first potato sack race at their school's sports day- he ended up wiping out and not finishing well. Trying not to come in last. For the past week and a bit (it's taken me a while to get this post written and up), I've had God gently nudging me with the scripture from Heb. 12:1-3: the whole thing about persevering right to the very end- putting my whole heart and soul into things until they're finished. Unfortunately, I usually peter out after completing only 5 - 10% of som