Skip to main content

The Blame Game

Tonight I NEED to write.

It's been a LONG summer so far and for no reason really, I felt like the past few days have just about put me over the edge.

So I need to write and find the good in this, because if I don't I keep dwelling on the bad.

Today started with an interesting dream. In it, I was going to be driving my friend's car- but I realized the back passenger door was open and thought 'I need to close it before I go'.

For some reason I didn't- and only discovered that when I got to my destination. I got out to check to see if there was any damage and both the doors on that side were massively scraped up. I felt sick to my stomach over it. There was no way to hide the damage and no way I could pretend it never happened.

In some ways, it's a lot like life.

You see something that you KNOW you really need to do. Unfortunately, life distracts you and it doesn't get done (or the other way- you don't stop doing things you know you shouldn't do anymore).

Sometimes this isn't a problem (like the police officer having already pulled the other speeder over so he couldn't clock you speeding....).

Other times, like in my dream, it turns into a huge, massive, expensive problem that you can't hide or run from.

It reminds me of the 'Blame Game'. You find it all throughout scripture.

We all know the first time it was played- in the Garden of Eden.

But another instance that struck me as funny and sad at the same time was Moses' version of the 'Blame Game'.

He spent 40 years blaming the children of Israel for the fact that HE wasn't going to be able to enter the Promise Land.

I had always thought that Moses 'manned-up', so to speak, about his transgression of not doing things the way God told him to and instead, struck the rock.

A simple oversight, with massive consequences.

Finally, in Deut. 3: 21 - 29, we see where Moses has given it one more try- 'please God, You're so great and amazing- please can I go into the Promise Land, pretty please'.

Finally, God says 'Enough! Don't speak to Me about this again.'

And Moses is still blaming the Israelites for what HE did (Deut. 3:26).

In a sad way it reminds me of how my kids can pester me for things- and how it just about puts you over the edge till you say 'ENOUGH!' (nice to know God can relate, right?).

On the other hand, it reminds me of how I spend a LOT of time blaming others for where things are at in my life- that I'm innocent and life would be perfect if they'd get their act together.

Not. True.

I know that this summer has had a LOT of external circumstances that have thrown me major curve-balls.

Yes! Things happen.

Actually, most of life is out of our control.

What is in our control is our response.

As I'm reading through my bible (which I'm actually getting sort of caught up on- YIPEE!), I'm reminded again that these things have been allowed to test me.

Will I press in hard and lean on God or will I descend into the pity party/blame game routine?

For me, I'm working on choosing God.

Keeping it real, by the grace of God...
Tammy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And Those That Were Willing...

I started a summer project. Oh yes, not like bringing home a puppy wasn't enough craziness for the summer- I've gone and added something else. I set a goal for myself- read through my bible in 90 days. At first I hummed and hawed about doing it. Would I really retain anything to make it worthwhile? Shouldn't I do a slow methodical study to get as much as possible out of it? Blah, blah, blah... Then I figured, anything that gets me at least reading my bible on a regular basis (whatever the outcome) would be a GOOD thing. So I started out with great enthusiasm and even got a day ahead of myself. Now, I'm behind (surprise, surprise). REALLY behind. Out of town visitors and a week of camping will do that, but I'm working on getting caught up again. Until then, I want to share a little nugget that I got from Ex. 36:2. "Then Moses summoned Bezalel and Oholiab and every skilled person to whom the Lord had given ability and who was willing to come and

Filling the Wrong Bucket

I didn't cave. I also should have just stayed off of Facebook, but I didn't cave. Last summer I chose NOT send my kids to summer camp- even though, seemingly, ALL their friends were going. The same week. All of them. Well, not really, of course. But honestly, with Facebook status updates coming in fast and furiously- it really did seem like it. And I wondered, 'Am I a bad mom because I didn't send my kids to summer camp with their friends?' At one point, I seriously thought about calling up the camp (after the week had started) and seeing if I couldn't somehow manage to get them in anyway. I let the thought pass- and didn't cave. But I still feel a tinge of guilt about it and I'm dreading the decision about this summer already. Fast forward a few more months- to February 7, 2014 to be exact. Pretty much anyone with even the slightest interest in Lego will know what that date means. The release of their first full-length feature movie.

Finishing Well

A couple of weeks ago I read this really funny blog post (found here  Worst End of School Year Mom ). It was really quite hilarious and so where I'm at these days. I have grand intentions every time I start something new. Things like school years, diets, exercise regimes, organizational to-do lists, schedules, habits, blog posts, etc. You name it and I'm pretty good at starting it- but finishing it, well, let's just say I'm not too good at that part. Elijah doing his first potato sack race at their school's sports day- he ended up wiping out and not finishing well. Trying not to come in last. For the past week and a bit (it's taken me a while to get this post written and up), I've had God gently nudging me with the scripture from Heb. 12:1-3: the whole thing about persevering right to the very end- putting my whole heart and soul into things until they're finished. Unfortunately, I usually peter out after completing only 5 - 10% of som